Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Your Holiday Style

As the Holidays are upon us it makes us each step back look around and decide what we are going to do for decorations during this time of year, Some will have a tree and some will have candles we all will do something that will be different from the rest of the Year.
Growing up I was raised by a mother who has a great decorating sense, She takes pride in her home. She worked very hard to teach all of her Children how to take something unconventional and turn it into something amazing. It may have been a Sheet that covered a couch or a dust ruffle that turned in to a valance, no matter what the item started as you could guarantee it was going to be great when she was done with it.
Christmas was a very special time around our house it meant lots of lights and crystal ornaments and garlands on the staircase everything always looked like you had taken it out of a magazine, but mom always had a special tree for the kids too, this tree included the ornaments that we had made and bubble lights that were fun to watch, because it was such a big deal around our house it quickly became special to each of us kids also my parents included us in the traditions.
Now that I am grown up I have discoverd a very distinct style of my own Edd always calls my tree a Macy's tree I just think that it is an Angie tree, you will probably never find a traditional Red and Green tree in my home but you might find Granny smith apple green Ting Ting coming out of it, the joke about me at the flowers shop is everything is better with ting. It is one of those things that is sparkly and fun and adds alot with out spending much money.
Finding your own style is so important, it makes your home yours not everyone like amethyst and Lime green with silver accents but I don't really like red, so there has to be a something for everyone.
The first tree I ever had of my own was when I live in Wyoming we had pulled the old nasty fake tree out of a shed it didn't even have a base, we were so poor we couldn't afford anything but my mom had given me 3 boxes of ornaments the were nothing special just purple and green balls, I don't remember I f I bought the one string of lights that we put on it or if I had been given them but I remember trying to make it look even with only one string so I only put them on the front of the tree. I do remember splurging and spending two dollars on tulle to use like ribbon and stuffing it into the tree to cover up the missing branches You talk about the sad tree this was definitely a sad tree but I remember how proud I was because It was my first Christmas tree in my own house, I even threw a Christmas Party so that everyone could come see my decorations.
I realized that year that I had found my style it is simple but elegant and it has evolved over the years and my ornaments have change from cheap Christmas ball to some very special ones, thanks to my mom and sisters who have gifted them to me.
I guess the point of this rambling is don't let any circumstances stop you for making you own space special, not just around the holidays but throughout the year also. Find what you like and use resources that you have maybe you like hand painted ornaments find a friend who know a little about them and have a ornament painting party. Take control and make your space special and you.

No comments:

Post a Comment