Friday, August 28, 2009

As the Holidays approach we are all more likely to entertain, I love when fall sets in the air and I can light my candles and enjoy a blanket and a good book, but this also sets the perfect backdrop for a special dinner with Family and friends,
In the summer we are more likely to entertain on paper plates but as soon as the weather changes it gives us a chance to pull out the dishes ( you know the one I am talking about), put some linens down and place a nice roast or chicken in the oven.
When I am having people over I like to be ready ahead of time so I have worked on things that can be done in advanced but still are amazing at the time of service. A great Menu for entertaining especially if you can't be there to babysit it all day is Pot Roast, you don't have to blow the budget on the meat a nice chuck or round roast works great. just make sure that you use herbs and seasonings so that the flavors are well Incorporated into the meat, don't be afraid of garlic or red wine when making a roast. If I am doing a roast I may do the traditional roasted veggies with the meat or I might choose to roast them separate, I also like to do twice baked potatoes with roast, it is an easy way to make sure that your portions are correct, If I don't want to go to the work of twice bakes I also have been know to turn my twice bakes into a casserole, this works great if you are serving it buffet style.
Like I have said before don't make it to complicated do what you know, there are many ways to make the dinner special just by adding one or two extra touches. So if your theme is fall go to the fabric store and by 45 inches of a fall print fabric and a roll of iron on fabric tape, bring it home and using only your iron fold the edges under 1/2 and inch place the tape in the fold and you now have a table square
for your party. Now you can go much more elaborate than this if you know how to sew. If you have a serger they make great rolled edges and if you are feeling really ambitious get two fabric and layer them on your table.
Now for the dishes you know the ones. Use them your grandmother didn't go to the expense of buying them for you so that they could sit in your China cabinet for the next twenty years, I know that you are afraid they might get broken but, they are special and it is a great way to make your guest feel special also. If you don't have a special set of dishes use the everyday ones and just play on them so that it looks different.
If you are like me most of your dinner parties are going to include Children, this can be fun and exciting for both parents and kids. Make a special area for the kids if all you have is a coffee table set it so that it is fun and make them feel like they are also part of the party. It is also great to have a plan for the kids maybe it is a special movie shown in the family room so that you and the other adult guest can have some time to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment