I know that few of you have families quite like mine but some do. So here is some help for when you think it may be overwhelming.
Last week our family went to the ocean, so before leaving we planned out meals and figured what food would be liked by most and what could be taken to cut cost. So as we were loading the car I looked the amount of food and thought there is no way that we are going to consume so much food, but we got it all loaded and headed on our trip. This trip was a little different than most we were not just cooking for our family but for two other family units also.
We arrived at the condo and of course it is time already to start dinner, I had prepared two pans of lasagna ahead of time and planned on green salad and corn to go with it. I have found that the best way to handle big crowds for meals is to be prepared. If you are going to have lasagna make it up a day or two in advance (don't bake it) so that the day that you need it you are not dealing with the stress or the mess.
I am very much an A type personality, I don't handle the fly by the seat of my pants very well, I like to have list and plans and at least a general idea of how things will work. My family is not so organized and I have even been referred to as the drill Sargent, but for a week thirty people were fed healthy good food and seemed to enjoy most of it. I had a lot of help and I have used the strength of those around me.
Sometimes you have to step out of you comfort zone to make those around you feel a little more comfortable. If you know your strengths and weaknesses ask those involved to handle one of the areas that you are not as comfortable in. Don't be afraid to include people they usually want to feel helpful and needed. don't try to do it all because you will crash and burn.
There are not a lot of times that you are feeding as many as I do, but just having another family of four over can become overwhelming if you are not prepared. Stay withing you comfort zone, if you want it to be extra special, pick one thing that will give it a special I really worked hard on this touch.
Entertaining is always easier when done in the comfort of your own home but don't stress if you have to step out of the comfort and onto a Colman stove, just prepare ahead of time and it will be great.
No comments:
Post a Comment